In July of 1907, Fr. George McGuire, pastor of Holy Trinity,
was given permission to build a church in Brewster. Property was purchased on Route 6A from Mrs. James H. Payne. The Church was built by Brewster men and was dedicated to Immaculate Conception in August 1908. In 1947, Immaculate Conception church became a mission church of the newly formed St. Joan of Arc parish in Orleans.
There have been many changes in the original structure, such as the enclosing of the front entrance and the addition of a bell tower in 1912 and the east wing in 1931. The new vestry to the rear of the church was added in 1962. The west addition was started in 1968 and finished in 1975.
Back on April 19, 1961, Fr. Joseph A Nolin, M.S. of the La Salette Community was appointed by Bishop Connolly as Administrator of a newly created parish to be known as Immaculate Conception. Services were held in the East Brewster church and Carleton Hall in Dennis until a new building was erected. The new parish consisted of Brewster, Dennis and Pleasant Lake. The church was built in the geographical center of the parish on 28 acres of land on Stony Brook Road. Ground breaking ceremonies for the new church was held on December 8, 1961. Bishop James L. Connolly assisted by Harold Ellis, Mary Walker and Radford McCormick, presided. At this time the parish was renamed Our Lady of the Cape. On July 12, 1962, the first Mass was held in the new building, although still incomplete. The church was officially opened on December 14, 1962 at Midnight Mass celebrated by Fr. Nolin, M.S. Bishop Connolly presided at the Solemn Blessing and Dedication of the new church on July 14, 1963.
The rectory was started on the hill behind the church in June 1965 and Fr. Nolin, who had been using the La Salette seminary (present Ocean Edge Building-Rt.6A) as his rectory, moved into the house on December 8, 1965. The formal dedication of the rectory by Bishop Connolly took place in August 1966.
The hall in the basement of the church was used very often – all social and fund-raising functions were held there. The Religious Education office and classrooms were there as well. As the parish grew, this area became overly crowded and a parish center was considered. This dream was realized in 1989 when a beautiful, multi-purpose parish center was built. Bishop Daniel Cronin dedicated the new building on October 29, 1989.
Besides, Fr. Nolin, eight La Salette priests have shepherded the parish. Fr. Henry Durand was second, followed by Fr. George Morin, Fr. Roland Bedard, Fr. Rene Gelinas, Fr. Rene Caissey, Fr. Richard Lavoie and Fr. Bernard Baris. Presently Fr. William Kaliyadan serves as pastor.